A WORLD CLASS ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
Alberta BioBord has designed a project to produce 300,000 MT of straw based fuel pellets in Phase 1 and then in Phase 2 also manufacture 430 MILLION square feet of 3/4" equivalent thick medium density fibreboard (MDF) using wheat straw as the raw material to meet a third of the current North American MDF market shortage. The process was piloted at Alberta Research Council (now Alberta Innovates), and the board properties were tested and confirmed there via the early efforts of the original BioBord team starting over 6 years ago. The research was unfortunately adopted & commercialized in China & SE Asia rather than here in Alberta. Three of the original motives behind the research were increased income for Agricultural producers, avoidance of deforestation and practical long term sequestration of CO2. This valuable sequestration of the CO2 in the straw MDF boards was confirmed at ARC and the addition of fuel pellet production makes the Alberta BioBord Corp proposed MDF plant potentially one of the the largest carbon capture projects in the world!
CARBON CAPTURE IS CALCULATED TO BE:
WHAT OUR INITIATIVES BRINGS
- Avoided deforestation will amount to saving millions of trees annually.
- The plant will consume 800,000 dry tonnes of straw per year, adding substantial new income to the farmers.
- The 450,000,000 sq. ft. of annual production will meet approximately one third of the current production shortage of MDF in the North American market.
- The board is bonded with formaldehyde free pMDI resin, resulting in a highly water resistant board from which there are no gaseous emissions.
- The board can be coated with powder coating giving a waterproof surface resistant to many chemicals.
- Board properties open up a range of markets, including exterior paneling, hospital and laboratory cabinetry and long lasting flooring.
- In the above Table – GHG Offsets in Mt measures credits for sequestration, avoided deforestation and production of straw renewable fuel pellets as a coal replacement.
- The plant, with the valued added section & Pellet Mill, will employ up to 1,000 people.
- The Pellet Mill will require an additional 300,000 tonnes of non-wheat straws, providing even greater revenue for Alberta’s Agricultural producers.
- Alberta BioBord is applying for Alberta Grants as it could meet >15% AB 2030 targets!