STATE OF THE ART
Building the world’s highest capacity straw fibre MDF board & value add integrated factory. Alberta BioBord has designed a project to manufacture 450 MILLION square feet of 3/4" equivalent thick medium density fibreboard (MDF) using wheat straw as the raw material to meet a third of the current North American MDF market shortage. The Main Factory building envelope footprint of approximately 1 Million square feet!
PERFORMANCE & DURABILITY
Straw based MDF board is extremely versatile and perfectly suited for uses where precision tolerance plus stability are essential. BioBord is designed for engineered and specific uses. It is ideal for flaw free laminates and real wood veneers. It is particularly suited, with its light colour, to photographing and finishing with Aluminum Oxide for laminate flooring. It is perfect for high production required in 6mm and 8mm boards for a variety of products such as laminated flooring where moisture resistance is especially important. It is also extremely useful in ready to assemble furniture (RTA) and there will be no formaldehyde emissions from water resistant countertops. It will be particularly beneficial in manufactured homes, travel trailers & composite housing. What makes Biobord so useful is it is bonded with formaldehyde free polyurethane resin (so no off-gassing) which adds the high degree of moisture resistance. That is a big factor in products like countertops and all types of flooring, especially laminated flooring. In fact all the following reasons make it a superior board:
- Reliability – more consistency
- Perfect board tolerances
- Wide density range possible
- Quality machinability
- Minimal swell; high moisture resistance
- High internal bond, density and strength
MAIN MDF PLANT
PROJECT ESTIMATED AT $750,000,000 - $1,200,000,000
- Research completed eight years ago in Alberta became widely adopted in SE Asia where wood is scarce but straw is plentiful.
- The move to non-carcinogenic MDI Formaldehyde Free glue works particularly well with straw fibre.
- The MDF boards produced with straw are more Fire Resistant and easier to be efficiently routed into well defined moldings.
- The large 10+M Metric Tonnes of annual wheat straw production within East Central Alberta ensures a sustainable source readily replenished every 12months vs. 40 years for wood!
- Even with cautious soil conservation straw harvesting rotations, the approximately 800Thousand MT of required straw will be readily available for input every year.
- Dieffenbacher GMBHMaschinen- und Anlagenbau, the world's premier MDF Continuous Press System manufacturer, has committed to providing performance & production guarantees for the entire facility design and engineer of Alberta BioBord’s proposed 430 Million Square foot of 3⁄4 inch equivalent annual production.
- Added farmer revenue
- State of the art dual line Dieffenbacher CPS system capable of producing 2mm thru 38mm thicknesses of straw fribre based boards.
- Densities will range from Ultra High & High for flooring and thin laminates thru standard Medium Density for shelving & furniture plus Low Density for Molding.
- TR Canada E&C Inc. engineering firm to provide turnkey EPCM contracts for all civil, structural, mechanical and electrical work.
- Energy & Electricity supply being negotiated with an independent Co-Generation Power Plant project proposed for the same area
- Straw Acquisition supply contracts being negotiated throughout east central Alberta.